Sunday 2 March 2014

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Rhys, J (1966)

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys is an adaptation of Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre was published in 1847, and Wide Sargasso Sea was published years later in 1966. It is a re-make of the novel, from another characters point of view. 

The novel is from Bertha's point of view, explaining her previous life, how she got married to Mr. Rochester, how she slowly descended into madness and how Mr. Rochester locked her in the attic after their marriage, with a maid to look after her. 

I could also use this for my next assignment, as I could make a mini video / movie clip from another characters point of view and focus in on one part of the story. As we do not know much about Bertha, Mr. Mason or their previous life, I could use one of them and portray an event from their point of view. For example, I could use the wedding scene of Jane and Mr. Rochester, or I could do it as a prequel to Jane Eyre, how Mr. Rochester came to marry Bertha.

No comments:

Post a Comment